The following was posted by Disney Cruise Line on their website:
Tropical Weather Update
September 1, 2019 – 3:30 p.m.
We continue to closely monitor the path and progress of Hurricane Dorian to ensure our guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises, and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm. The safety of our guests and crew is always our foremost concern. Since all tropical storms and hurricanes are inherently unpredictable, our plans may change from day to day based on the most current information. Please check this site often for the most up to date information.
Disney Dream – current sailing – UPDATED
Disney Dream’s current sailing was scheduled to return to Port Canaveral on Wednesday, September 4. However, after careful review of the currently forecasted path, and conversations with port officials in Florida, it does not seem likely that Port Canaveral will be available for our return on Wednesday.
Because of this, we will need to further extend this sailing and now expect Disney Dream to return to Port Canaveral one day later, on Thursday, September 5.
Since Disney Dream will now have additional time at sea, we have arranged a port call for tomorrow, Monday, September 2, in Grand Cayman.
Disney Dream – Monday, September 2 changed to Wednesday, September 4 – UPDATED
While we had hoped to preserve some portion of the voyage for our Guests’ enjoyment, we have had to change our plans given the inherently unpredictable nature of tropical storms and hurricanes. After careful review of the currently forecasted path, and conversations with port officials in Florida, we have decided to cancel the sailing completely. We understand this may be disappointing news, but we feel this was a necessary decision. The safety of our Guests and crew members is always our foremost concern.
Since the sailing was cancelled, Guests are eligible for a full refund of their voyage fare. Additionally, we want to offer Guests an opportunity to sail with us again and will provide them with a 20% discount on a future cruise.
Guests should contact us at 1-866-325-3905 or 407-566-7032 between Monday, September 9, 2019, and Thursday, October 31, 2019, to let us know if they would like to apply their credit to a new sail date between now and December 31, 2020, or receive a full refund. Guests who already moved to a different voyage will be able to apply the discount to their new sailing (some restrictions may apply).
We are truly sorry for the storm’s impact on our Guest’s vacation, and appreciate their understanding given the continued unpredictability of Hurricane Dorian’s path.